ROOTED IN OUR LOCAL COMMUNITY
WE LEARN IN AN AUTHENTIC MONTESSORI ENVIRONMENT
GROWING AS CONSCIENTIOUS AND JOYFUL LEARNERS
INSPIRED TO LEAD IN THE WORLD COMMUNITY
Our story began when parents in the Silverton community were introduced to the Montessori philosophy. The private elementary in a neighboring community closed and a group of parents continued to dream big. They wanted their children to participate in a peaceful, child-centered educational system. They embraced the Montessori philosophy, but struggled with the prospect of private school.
It seemed there might be interest to have a school in Silverton, but how? Through discussions about a shared passion for Montessori and a desire for a public school option, parents struck upon the charter school concept. At a meeting in December 2007, the idea of The Community Roots School was hatched.
An application for a planning grant was submitted to the Oregon Department of Education in March 2008. That spring, The Community Roots School was awarded $55,000. With that approval came potential for more than $100,000 for each of the next 2 years for the implementation of the school.
This grant funded many activities including meetings and outreach, consultation for the charter application, start-up materials, and recruiting. Over 1,200 volunteer hours were needed to research, design and create the application. Support from other public charter Montessori schools including Ridgeline and Lewis and Clark was invaluable.
In November 2008, the founding members (Bart Banks, Jacquie Curtis, Jennifer de Jong, Jennifer Kimball, Erika Lanning, Jennifer McCord, Matt Miller, Sarah Miller, Frank Petrik, Mandy Petrik, Jennifer Traeger and Miranda Traeger) submitted the application to Silver Falls School District Board.
First year highlights:
- Charter contract was signed with Silver Falls School District
- Legal nonprofit status achieved
- Board of Directors established
- Children were enrolled
- Two teachers were hired
- A classroom of materials and furnishings were ordered and received
- The group moved into its first site
We are so happy to have traveled this road and to have the interest and commitment of families in our community
At The Community Roots School, our core values are fostering a love of learning, encouraging children to grow to be stewards of the planet, and developing values of tolerance and peace in a community of children and their families. We strive to make The Community Roots School a place where our best human qualities are invited to shine.
We teach (and learn) ways to learn, grow, and lead that contribute to the larger community. We do this by:
- A rich and holistic educational experience that respects the individuality of each young learner;
- Positive, effective communication that assumes the best in each other and seeks the best for our children;
- Respect for a diversity of backgrounds and experiences, and for the perspectives they add to our collective journey;
- A commitment to contribute to the well-being and vitality of our Silverton community;
- The practice and teaching of peace and mindfulness in our classrooms, our community and the world;
- The practice and teaching of wise stewardship of our natural resources and care our earth.
THE COMMUNITY ROOTS SCHOOL ADMITS STUDENTS REGARDLESS OF RACE, COLOR, SEX, AND NATIONAL OR ETHNIC ORIGIN.